Monday, February 28, 2011

You Asked...I Answered

This Q&A sessions excited me because both of the questions  below pertain to loc wearers and they both came in on the same day. A sign? Maybe :).  Let me make it clear that I am NOT AN EXPERT on loc care but I do care for my husbands locs so I have learned quite a lot with his journey. I hope the information below is helpful.


You Asked:

Need help,
I am in my early 50 and i am having problem with the top ofy my hair is very thin to be honest I am **** near bald at the top can you help me and please give me some advice I have been wearing locs for the past 4 years. help.



I answered: 
When it comes to hair loss there are quite a few factors that you may want to look at to see if you can determine what is causing the problem. The most obvious and probably the first recommendation would be to visit a dermatologist. However, when I got to the loc portion of your email the first thing I thought was: twisting to tight. How often are you re-twisting your hair and when you retwist are there fingernails involved? Does the twisting hurt? Is heat involved?
Re-twisting to often can cause excess stress on your roots and contribute to breakage, jagged fingernails can tear those tiny hair strands to shreds. If your roots are re-twisted too tightly that could potentially  lead to traction alopecia and if you are sitting under a dryer after re-twisting then it possible that you could be experiencing some heat damage at the roots that is contributing to the breakage. As you can see there are a number of things that can play a part in breakage in the crown area.


You Asked:
Tia i see you do a lot of different things with your hair but I am wondering what are some new styles for men with locs? I use virgin coconut oil on my hair now but i'm looking for something new. Hair doesn't seem as healthy as it should. HELP A BROTHER OUT!! 
I am really big on no longer using harmful chemicals in my hair. So this is what I shampoo my hair with Dr. Bronners tea tree oil shampoo or the peppermint. I use this product bc it's made with coconut oil, olive oil, hemp oil and it's light.
I mix pure Vitamin E with my coconut oil when i rub it in my hair and on my scalp. That's all I use. My hair is breaking so I started using this combo. I laid off the shea butter. I'm not sure if it's because I tie my hair up to have it out my face or just the hair isn't as healthy anymore....Thanks


I answered
In my opinion, finding the balance between protein and moisture is key in preventing breakage. There are quite a few natural products out there that can help you with reaching that balance. You mention that you are pulling your hair back to keep it out of your face, are you tying the locs together? Tying them together increases the potential that you will pull them too tight. Try wearing something like a loc soc to keep the hair out of your face. That will reduce the amount of strain that you put on each individual loc.
Some natural strengthening products you can use include black tea, coconut milk, henna (my fav), eggs, and many others.
As for styles - I hear the call and I will try my best to discover some new looks. Since my hubby has locs I may make this a regular feature on the blog. I have noticed a number of other ladies that have men with locs and we have to show them love too. :)

---

With both of these questions: If you have a signature look that requires you to manipulate the locs in the same way often, STOP. No matter your hair type (loc, straight, kinky, curly, etc) if you can constantly wearing your hair in the same way and tension is involved - breakage is likely to follow.




For more information pertaining to these question please check out the links below:

Vitamins For Your Hair
All Natural Strengthening Product - CurlyNikki Forum
How Dreadlock Wearers Combat Thinning Hair
Essential Oils Can Help Regrow Hair
Dreadlock Blogs

Got tips or advice pertaining to these question? Please comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment