Saturday, February 5, 2011

Chronicles of a Natural Apostolic: Embracing My Curls

About my curls: I have VERY tight curls. For the most part they are ringlet "S" curls.  Some times it gets frizzy, sometimes it doesn't. It really just depends on how my hair is feeling. I have a lot of hair, but my strands are fine. They aren't thick, therefore I don't have coarse hair. Yes natural hair still be fine :) When I wash my hair I get MAJOR shrinkage. Inches and inches of shrinkage. It barely touches my neck lol. But no matter what the roots are doing, those ends love to curl up!

In this pic: I didn't put any product in my hair. Fresh out the shower in a puff!
Why can it be hard to embrace your curls? There is such thing as curl envy. Sometimes you might feel ashamed of your curls because they don't look like someone elses curls you like. But you can't focus on that. No product will give you a different hair texture or curl pattern. It will only enhance and define what you already have. This is all part of finding what works for you and embracing it!



This was taken December 10'

Don't force your hair to be something it isn't... this is a lesson I am learning in life. It was actually part of the reason why I went natural. Why was I continually altering my hair?! I mean- isn't it pretty enough without anything? Now in my opinion, I am not against wearing your hair straight BUT I am against straightening your hair in an attempt to run away from your natural hair. Your hair is unique and beautiful in its own way!! You might be the only one in the world with the texture you have!

I surely do have my fizzy days. See!! This was December 09'
I used to wonder why my curls would turn out different every time I tried to wear it out... I still don't know the answer to that question! haha. But I just know how to go with the flow better. Like in this pic below, my hair did something very strange- I must have washed a braid out. I don't remember but my curls were extremely defined that day. Natural hair has character and it has a mind of its own. But its FUN when you can learn how to make it work and just dance to the music anyway!

So my best advice to myself is to love what God gave me. Some days it is easier than other days (you know- when you are having those, I know my hair looks bomb days). Those other not so easy days its easy to forget the whole embracing thing. But we have to love what we have!! The more we love it, the more confident we will be and the more confident we are, the more we let our light shine for Jesus through our hair! That's right :)

Celebrating us <3

No comments:

Post a Comment