Thursday, November 25, 2010

Wow! What a Response!

Social networking with a social purpose.  Who'd a thought it?

A few nights ago I had a go at seeing if I could get some celebrity support in passing the link on to my Just Giving page for my fundraising effort.  Three celebrities here in the UK were brilliant and passed it on to their own followers, and this ended up generating £40 in donations for Cancer Research UK!

I have to give my thanks to three of my favourite television personalities:  Amanda Mealing from Holby City (who is also a Leicester Tigers and F1 fan, and who I first saw in one of my all time favourite films, "Four Weddings and a Funeral"), Shobna Gulati (the lovely Sunita in Coronation Street), and Rob Brydon (one of my top three favourite comedians along with Rhod Gilbert and Frankie Boyle and star of the fabulous series Gavin & Stacey).

I did ask the former Prime Minister's wife, Sarah Brown, for a retweet, and while she didn't, she did send me a very kind message wishing me luck but explaining that she does not retweet individual fundraising efforts.  That was fair enough.  People in the political limelight have to be careful, and I totally understand.  It just hadn't occurred to me before.  At least she had the good manners to let me know instead of just ignoring me!

I don't just have celebrities to thank for their help.  Thank you so much to the people who I have never met who donated to Cancer Research UK out of the goodness of their hearts.  You are the ones who are going to make this a success and help us find the ways to not only cure but also prevent breast cancer for future generations and hopefully the generations with us now as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment