Monday, November 29, 2010

It's a Whole Family Thing

Cancer affects more than just the person who receives the diagnosis. Obviously that is the person who has to actually deal with it physically, mentally and emotionally but there are secondary "sufferers". (I hate the word victim for anyone dealing with cancer so I will try to avoid that term wherever possible!)

I am so pleased to report that Erin is dealing with her diagnosis positively. She took part in Black Friday shopping in Texas. I think getting up in the middle of the night to stand in a queue for shopping needs serious psychological evaluation, but I never said my family was "normal". Erin did it, and she managed to finish her Christmas shopping. Things will be as normal as possible for my nephew and nieces, and Erin's courage in doing what she can to achieve this doesn't surprise me, but it does inspire me. The kids will be suffering along with their mum, but her strength will rub off on them.

My brother-in-law is right there beside Erin, and I know he's having a rough time. He loves my sister, and I love him all the more for the support he is giving and will be giving her. My mum said she thinks he might be having panic attacks because of the stress and worry, and who can blame him? I suffer from serious panic attacks, for which I've had all sorts of treatment from medication to psychotherapy to aromatherapy and beyond, and I don't have nearly as good a reason as my brother-in-law does!

The rest of the family are suffering too, but we're a strong breed. After all, we're Texans! We will come out the other side of this a closer family, knowing together we can battle through anything. I might be 5,000 miles away from them but they know I'm right beside them.

So if you're reading this and are inspired to do so, please donate to Cancer Research UK! If you aren't comfortable clicking on the link from this page, Google "Just Giving" and from their page you can search for me (Melinda Rice Knowles). Like I've said before, I won't be offended!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment