Monday, November 22, 2010

Too Many Women

I can remember when my great grandmother had her mastectomy. I was probably nine or ten years old, if that. I can remember all the bandages across her chest.

She survived cancer and was with us until 27 June 1989 and lived long enough to see my daughter, her first great great grandchild.

All these years later so many women are travelling the same road. The procedures are better. The drugs are better. Our knowledge is better. But there are still too many women with breast cancer.

My sister is one of three women I know of with breast cancer. She was due to start chemotherapy today but it has been delayed while the doctors wait for more test results. The waiting to start treatment is agonising enough for an older sister 5,000 miles away! For Erin I'm sure it's hell.

Today one of my classmates from North Garland High School is waiting while his wife is in surgery. She has been on this road longer than Erin, but all my best wishes and positive thoughts are with Kelley, Deryl and their family. They have been actively raising funds in support of breast cancer charities in the US.

The third woman is my ex-mother-in-law, Elaine. Her prognosis is good, and she has been thoughtful enough to send her best wishes to Erin and my family from her family.

My two youngest sons are watching their grandmother and their aunt through their diagnoses and treatments, albeit their communication with Erin is through Facebook. My ex-husband is watching his mother go through it. My parents are watching their daughter. Deryl is watching his wife.

There are just too many women.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment