Friday, May 28, 2010

You Asked...I Answered

You Asked:
Dear Tia, let me just say THANK YOU for ur blog. What has been your experience with blow drying, did you do it in the beginning of your journey? If so, how often? I know you can roller set now, but considering I only have 4 inches of hair, I'm wondering how often I should/can blow dry without causing too much damage. I lightly did it for the 1st time recently 1 yr post relaxer on low with fantasia IC heat protectant and I love the results and want to continue. Thx in advance!

I Answered:
I did blow dry for years and my hair suffered because I didn't know any better and I was blow drying my hair on HIGH and I would only purchase blow dryers that had the highest watts. I recall a few times having the blow dryer so hot that the circuit would trip - that was bad. Since (2008) I started taking better care of my hair I have blow dried my hair maybe 3 three times. (I do sit under a hooded dryer when I roller-set but that is less direct than the hand held.) When I use the hand held I keep the dryer set at medium-heat and under and I also use the "cool shot." I believe that blow drying in moderation is okay if done properly. First, help your hair straighten out by banding or stretching your hair and letting it air dry completely. From there you can blow dry on low heat (with a heat protectant) to get the look you desire. You want to be careful with heat because heat damage can creep up on you and result in a huge setback.
--------
You Asked:
Hi Tia I love your hair I would like to know how do you get your buns so smooth I am trying to incorporate more protective styles in my routine I have been natural for almost 2 years so I want to try something different My main style is the twist or twist out THANK YOU IN ADVANCE...:-)

I Answered:
My buns are the smoothest when I do them on damp hair. That is really the only trick. I use a sock, damp hair, and my hand to smooth them down. I will have to do a tutorial to show the technique.
-------
You Asked:
What ingredients make a dc a dc?

I Answered:
Great question! A while ago I looked this up because I was curious myself. I came across a post on The Natural Haven that provided me with a lot of helpful info and is also the reason that I now deep condition(dc) in a less amount of time. I used to DC for 1 hour now it's more like 10-20mins.
The consistency of conditioners is one of the key qualities that make a conditioner a deep conditioner. Deep conditioners tend to be thicker than daily conditioners. Typically deep conditioners contain ingredients are more "fatty" and contain heavy silicone materials that are purposed to coat and protect the hair shaft external stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment