Friday, May 28, 2010

Detangling Tips

I don't like to detangle. There have been days (in the past) that I cut out a section of hair just because it was "too tangled." Detangling is the part of my washing process that I dread the most.

So for year I have been on the mission to make this process as smooth as possible. I have found that prevention is the key! (like with most things in life).

So my process goes like this:

When applying my prepoo mix I lightly finger comb if my hair is loose enough

While shampooing (in sections) I start detangling with my fingers and if my hair allows I may even bring in the shower comb at this step. This is done under running water.

Then while applying my conditioner I am constantly detangling and using the shower comb to evenly distribute the conditioner. By the time I get to this step I hardly have any detangling to do. Basically I am taking steps to prevent tangles from reforming.

When I am rinsing out the conditioner (under running water) I am constantly combing through my hair with the shower comb. At this point the comb glides through with no problem. :)

Once each section is rinsed I neatly plait the section to prevent detangling.

When styling my hair I make sure that each section I style stays detangled while I am twisting, braiding, plaiting, etc.

The most successful detangling (for me) happens when I incorporate detangling at each step of my regimen. I experience little to no breakage as a result of not having to "fight" my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment