Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Castor Oil Challenge: My Planned Routine

Castor oil is really thick and some even say that it smells (I don't smell it *Kanye shrug*). You may find it beneficial to mix the Castor oil with a carrier oil. Carrier oils include:

Sweet Almond Oil

Kukui Nut Oil

Apricot Kernel Oil

Macadamia Nut Oil

Avocado Oil

Watermelon Seed Oil

Meadowfoam Oil

Jojoba Oil

Borage Seed Oil

Sunflower Oil

Seabuckthorn Berry Oil

Hemp Seed Oil

Tea Tree Oil

Sesame Oil

Peanut Oil

Hazelnut Oil

Cranberry Seed Oil

Pecan Oil

Evening Primrose Oil

Pomegranate Seed Oil

Coconut Oil

Grapeseed Oil

Rose Hip Oil

Olive Oil


You can find the majority of these oils in any health food store. Olive oil will probably be the easiest to find-it is in almost every grocery store. From previous information I have read-the greener the olive oil the better. But to be honest, my hair response the same way to olive oil no matter the color.Mixing the olive oil with a carrier oil can be tricky.

If you look at some homemade hair product recipes out there you will notice that when Castor is used, the same amount of carrier oil is used. Some people apply the Castor oil straight with no chaser. The choice is yours. Listen to your hair and give it what it asks for.

The rules of the challenge say to apply at least twice a week. Castor oil has anti-fungal properties so if you have a serious dandruff problem you may want to consider a few additional days a week. The challenge will be going on for a while so feel free to start off slow and adjust your application if needed.

My plans for this challenge (and some things you may want to ponder):

Participation time frame: 2 months (Feb 1 -Apr 1)
Brand used: Walgreen’s Castor Oil and then Home Health Castor oil for the rest of the challenge
Mixing: Castor Oil and Avocado Oil (equal parts of each oil)
Application: Twice a week. Sundays and Thursdays, Sunday is my wash night.
Overall goal for this challenge: Healthier scalp, I put a lot of care into my strands but don’t really pay a lot of attention to my scalp.

I have pledged some serious dedication, I hope I can stick to it. Hold me accountable!

No comments:

Post a Comment