Friday, September 24, 2010

Heat and Your Natural Texture






Question: Why Won't My Hair Return to its Natural Texture After Pressing?
If you've pressed your natural hair for years (or even once with an iron or comb that was too hot), you may find some sections don't snap back anymore, even after shampooing. What happened to your hair's ability to revert back to its natural texture once water hits it?
Answer:
What happened is heat damage. Yes, your hair can lose its ability to curl and will remain permanently straight, and damaged. This happens when you use heat that's too high – it doesn't have to happen over time. One incident with a too-hot curling iron, flat iron or hot comb and this could happen. Even if you wear your naturally curly hair straight all the time, this isn't a result you want because the hair has been fried straight and is not healthy.
The only solution for the damaged hair is, unfortunately, to cut it off. If you have several damaged sections all over, you'll need to get rid of them, which means an overall cut. If you're trying to grow your hair longer, this is probably the last thing you want to hear, but it's necessary for the overall health of your hair. Once you cut off the damaged parts, you can start or return to a healthy hair regimen.
---




The above question is a situation that many naturals can find themselves in after straightening.
I haven't received the following question directly but I have seen it a lot on numerous hair boards. This seems to be a frequent hot topic (no pun intended). 





My experience? I've never been relaxed but I did wear a press n curl for years. Since a stove top hot comb was used on my hair and I could hear the grease sizzle, I am pretty sure that I suffered some form of heat damage. For a few years the curls on one side of my head were looser than the other side. It's possible that those loose curls were a reflection of that damage. 





I used to think that over time my curls did actually revert but the more I think about it, I am convinced that reversion was not what was happening. I dye my hair (maybe twice a year) and that's no secret. Well, because I dyed my hair I could tell by the roots that my hair was growing however, my length always stayed the same. Breakage.





So now my train of thought? My heat damage grew out and broke off. Many lessons learned. I still have my pressing comb but I have not used it in years. I stopped pressing/straightening my hair regularly starting January 2005. I may straighten my hair 1-2 times a year and when I do, I now use my ceramic flat iron on med heat. So far I have not suffered any more damage, my curls revert (fast), and I am retaining length. 





I am sure that I am on the right path now when it comes to heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment