Monday, September 20, 2010

Protective Styling Challenge: Roller-setting

Since I can't make a decision for this fall/winter season, I am going to try all the protective styles. That should keep me from getting too bored with one look this fall/winter season. Also, this is a way for me to see what works for me and what I have time for. I am not too concerned about retaining additional length. This year I just want to maintain what I have.

First up:

For the first 1 month I am going to attempt to roller-set my hair each week, style in a protective style, and only wear my hair out on weekends.

I will adhere to the guidelines of my Fall/Winter regimen*:
• Pre-poo with Castor and Jasmine Oil (I love this combo)
• Shampoo (product unknown*)
• Deep Condition (product unknown*)
• Roller-set with leave in conditioner and coconut oil
• Sit under the dryer on medium heat or if time allows, air dry.
• Throughout the week (at least 3 times) I will apply more coconut oil to my length, paying special attention to my ends.
*I will do all steps that involve the shampoo process because I will only wash my hair every other week.

The reasoning I have behind roller-setting is to stretch out my length and keep the ends from curling on themselves and forming SSKs. So I am not trying to achieve a super straight look, just a good stretching. (I really just to use those rollers more - no need to waste $$ that has been spent.) I may flat iron my hair once during the month just to see where I am with length.

To determine if this challenge really makes a difference I will do a length check in the beginning and one at the end to see if a retain additional length or just maintain what I have. I will start this on 9/24/2010 and end on 10/24/2010. {First day of fall is 9/23/10}

*The products I plan to use is unknown because I refuse to buy anything new until I use up what I already have. I may end up mixing if I don't have enough of something to make it through the month. I will update as I purchase

No comments:

Post a Comment