Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Question and Answer: Stuck in a rut

Question: ...OK, so I have been relaxer free for 1 1/2 years. I have not been able to find a product that doesn't dry my hair or may it hard and flake. I have tried a few things on my hair. A few of my friends have told me get Ms.Jessie products. I usually try a leave in conditioner and sheen. I just a few good products to test to see which is best for me. My hair has is naturally curly (cause I have Indian in my family lol.) I also need styling tips I try the twist and let them loose but during the summer this last about 1/2 maybe 1 day at the most. I need something that will hold my curl and not dry my hair out.Please help a sista out...

Answer:
When you say "sheen", are you talking about "oil sheen." That stuff is not good for natural hair-it tends to just sit on top of the hair and our (really all hair) craves moisture. As for Miss Jessie's, I have not bought any of her products so I don't have an opinion about them. I am nervous about trying new things when they are pricey.

For dryness I would recommend applying a leave-in conditioner to your hair nightly and then "sealing" with a light oil. Olive oil, Hot Six Oil, and Sweet Almond Oil are all good to use. I hear coconut oil is good but I have not tried it yet, it's next on my list.

Personally I love Suave Conditioners, I co-wash with them and leave a little in even though they are not leave in conditioners. Do you wash with shampoo a lot? Stop. You really only need to shampoo 1-2 a month or when you KNOW that your hair is dirty. Use conditioner in between the shampoos, that should help with a lot of the drying

To help with making a twist out last longer...I love using this recipe that I found on MotownGirl
Frizz Controller
Ingredients
1/2 cup conditioner
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon almond oil

The instructions say to wash it out but I prefer to use it like a gel and apply a little bit lightly when I twist each section of hair.

For styles, you have to visit FOTKI! The natural ladies on the photo site have endless styles you can choose from. Here are a few that I am addicted to:

Jenteel, PrettyDimples (she also has a YouTube channel with style tutorials), DeeCoily, KinkyCurlyQueen, Nigerian Queen

*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.• tia¸.•*´¨)

No comments:

Post a Comment