Friday, October 16, 2009

In The News: Essence Magazine

Has anyone seen this month's issue of Essence? I see that Chris Rock's "Good Hair" has really stirred up some conversation in the black community and I am more than happy to see that. A lot of times when my husband and I are watching television we notice that on shows and on commercials the African-American women with natural hair are outweighing the African-American women with relaxed hair. Except on channels geared towards African-Americans. The other week I wanted to watch Life After with Eva (the diva-I love her) which happens to air on TVOne. The FIRST commercial that came on after the commercial was about some relaxer and the women were talking about "how good and great" their hair feels and because their hair looks good, they feel good. Bologna. I feel like the commercial was attacking naturals, but I could be biased :)

One day I am going to sit through a show and tally the number of naturals vs relaxed. I believe being natural is more than a trend.

No comments:

Post a Comment