Sunday, December 26, 2010

My Family

The holidays are a time for family no matter what your religious beliefs are. It should be a time for reflecting on how lucky you are to have your loved ones and for remembering the good times you had with those who are no longer with you. It isn't about what presents you are giving but what you give to others, and by that I don't just mean material gifts.

Some of my favourite childhood memories are Christmases spent at my great-grandmother's house in Dallas with my extended family. I was so lucky to have had the chance to have holidays with my great-great-grandmother, my great-grandparents, my grandparents and my parents, not to mention various uncles, aunts and cousins. It was always a house full of laughter and love.

We've also lost my great-great-grandmother (when I was 9), my great-grandparents and my grandfather (all three when I was in my 20s).

Now we're spread out around the world but the love is still there. The family is growing too. My sisters and I have had children of our own (with one more on the way), and my oldest son is engaged. He finally took his fiancée to meet my side of the family yesterday. What a wonderful Christmas present for my parents and grandmother!




I have an extended family here in England now too. Since David and I aren't married, we refer to each other's families as "the outlaws". I had the privilege and pleasure of spending Christmas day with my outlaws yesterday, and they are just as much fun (and as insane) as my own family!









- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment