Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Chronicles of a Natural Apostolic: Straight Hair, Please Share!!

It has been 6-8 months since I have straightened my hair last! I was sitting on my hands and waiting for the day. And you know whats funny? After wearing it straight for a week, I couldn't WAIT to get my curls back. Girls, let me tell you! As my friend Geanie said, Your curls have more character. I agree. Not that I'm anti-straight hair, don't get me wrong, I just like my curls better. It was a nice change and it was cool to see how much my hair has grown!

Before I show you the pictures, let me explain how I straightened my hair as well as some other details,
  • Wash & Detangle: I washed and detangled it on a Wednesday. After detangling, I braided it in about 10 plaits. I made sure to use extra oil, paying special attention to my ends
  • Preparation: I continued to moisturize and I left the plaits in until Saturday morning. I kept my braids covered with a crocheted hat (with my silk bonnet underneath) in order to keep it protected from the cold weather.
  • Straightening: I used my brothers girlfriends straightener because I was out of town, but I didn't take the temp over 350 degrees. I took small pieces and slowly straightened my hair. It took about an hour and a half in total
  • Maintenance: Just about every night I put my hair in loose bantu knots and covered it with my silk bonnet. If there were any tangles, I gently worked them out with a wide tooth comb. I NEVER used a thin toothed comb. In the shower I just put a shower cap over my silk bonnet
  • How did my ends look? FABULOUS! The last time I straightened it, I was somewhat devastated. lol. My ends were so brittle and dry. I was like, greeeat. I will never be able to wear my hair down again. BUT this time, it was amazing! My ends were smooth, moisturized and they looked so good. I was very pleased with them :)
  • Did my hair get dry? Slightly but whenever it did I just used my oils before bed and in the morning it was just fine!!
  • Did it poof up easily? It was strange because on Sunday morning we shouted the house down soo I was left with a kinda Tina Turner look lol. But midst and a small amount of water didn't really phase it too much. Weird. lol. But no my husband actually mentioned that he was shocked how well it stayed straight.
  • Did it revert back to curls easily?  OH YES! As soon as those locks hit the shower, the curls came bouncing back into town. In fact, I had more shrinkage than usual. I don't know what that was about lol.
NOW for the pictures...

Like I said, the straightener wasn't that hot
(I did that on purpose so as not to burn
my hair- you can do that, you know)
So its not BONE STRAIGHT. Anyhow
this is where the longest pieces are falling...

I only wore my hair down TWICE lol
It was so weird having it on my neck.
It was HOT. So yes, my name is Kendra
and I am addicted to protective styling up dos

See told ya.

This is Sun nite after the recital
You can see some of the curly roots
But its not too bad!

This is like day 6.. So its pretty poofy!
But big is great!!

It was 6:15am
I was not happy.
Grrrr.


My 50s inspired up do,
Yay :)

The Day of Reckoning
"WASH DAY"

Well, it was fun while it lasted!!

Feel free to comment with questions!



Celebrating a Season of Loving Naturals <3

No comments:

Post a Comment