Saturday, November 28, 2009

Roller Setting

I decided that since I had a little extra time with the holiday weekend to attempt my first roller set. I read on one of those hair blogs/websites that when roller setting 4abc hair, it was impossible to get smooth curls. That is my problem with the internet..you have people that have never touched your hair telling you what it can and can not do. I have had my hair long enough to know what is possible and what's not. I am here to declare that smoothness can be achieve through roller setting on 4abc hair!

Supplies:
Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel
Sweet Almond oil
Spray Bottle with water/conditioner mix (for detangling)
Elastic Hair Bands
Annie Magnetic Hair Roller
Duck Bill Clips
Rat Tail Comb
Hair Brush (yep you read right)
Home Clips
Shea Butter/Coconut Oil Mix
Hair Dryer

I did my roller set on clean conditioned hair. First, I separated my hair into three sections with a column going down the middle. The column is where I started rolling. Using my rat tail comb I made smaller sections and used the hair clip to hold the rest of my hair back. For each section I detangled very well, applied Aloe Vera, and then sweet almond oil. (Note: Sweet almond oil was used because I like the shine that it gives my hair).

I used the hair brush to evenly distribute the gel and oil and also to smooth before rolling. If you detangle properly the brush will move through your length easily. I did not roll my hair straight down. I came in at an angle to encourage smoother roots. I used elastic bands for the curls within the interior of my hair but only rollers for the edges. I didn't want a lot of tension on my edges and I didn't want the indention from the band to show.

After I was all rolled up, which took about 45min-1hr(keep in mind this was my first time), I sat under the dryer until dry. If the hair is not completely dry, you will experience some reversion and frizziness, so be sure to do this on a day that you can sit for as long as needed. After removing roller wrap your hair until you are ready to take it down. I used the shea butter/coconut oil mix to apply to my curls prior to wrapping. This was an attempt to decrease frizzes.

I strongly believe that the trick to the roller set is to use a water based product that you know will give your hair some slickness and almost weigh it down. Since it's water based the weigh down will not matter because the product evaporates.

No comments:

Post a Comment