Wednesday, April 6, 2011

You Asked...I Answered


You Asked:
I go to the gym 3 times a week and I play sports. I can't go to work with my hair looking a mess - how can I wear cute styles and still be active?
I Answered:
I wore a press-n-curl for years so when it comes to keeping my hair in place during hot weather and physical activities it seems pretty simple to me. It took me seeing others try to cope with this to realize that it was a skill I learned over the years and it is once worth sharing. When my hair is out (Example: twistout) I will gather my hair into a high ponytail (like pineappling) and wear a sweat band or scarf around the edges. After working out I will not touch my hair at all until it is all the way dry (if I sweat). If my hair is in a style (example: updo or bun) I will tie a do-rag on and leave it until I am ready to leave the house (usually the next morning). When my hair is straight - I follow the "style" routine. The key is to not touch the hair if any moisture is present because that is what causes the frizz - manipulation while wet/damp. Because there is salt present in sweat it will benefit you to wash/rinse your hair more than normal if you are sticking to a strict and frequently workout regimen.

You Asked:
How do you know if your hair is moisturized enough? I don't think I can ever tell. After sitting under the steamer last night my hair didn't feel so good. It felt kind of brittle. Any idea why that is? And what do you put on your hair before you steam?
I Answered:
That is interesting - after sitting under the steamer my hair feels extremely soft and my Hubby's new growth felt the same way after I put him under the steamer. What did you put on your hair prior to sitting under the steamer? I've used a conditioner with a humectant and also a light oil and got good results with both but better results with the conditioner. If you are dealing with solving a dry hair issue you may have to deep condition weekly for at least a month before you have any results that are truly noticeable. Also after deep conditioning and rinsing you may want to look into applying a moisturizer or a leave in conditioner and then sealing that in with an oil or butter.
Also, how is your protein - moisture balance? If you are experiencing brittle feeling hair after conditioning or steaming you may want to check your products to see if they contain protein. I could be a chance that you are protein sensitive. It's really difficult to say that X,Y, and Z are causing the brittle feeling without knowing your exact regimen and the products routinely. I hope the suggestions provided give you a place to start with resolving the issue.


If you have any additional tips for the questions above please leave them in the comment section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment