Saturday, July 14, 2007

perspective

I have always tried to be a considerate neighbor. As summer approached, and we knew the windows of the house would be open more often (nearly always), Eric and I made a conserted effort to discourage Finn's barking. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. However, at shortly after 1 am this morning (Eric had just gotten into bed after a loooong day at work, so we were both awake), we witnessed a man tear up an empty 12 pack beer box and deposit the pieces in various bushes in our front yard. He then proceeded to urinate on our rock wall. Unbeknownst to him, we watched from our bedroom window -- he was facing us directly -- until Eric (through the aforementioned open window) said, "Can I help you?" Clearly startled, the man jerked his head up, blurted "sorry" and skittered off. (Eric thinks he recognized the man as a "kid" who lives a few doors down). I lay in bed afterwards just wishing I had the nerve to grab the toilet paper and follow him, informing him that I was planning on taking a piss on his lawn, 'cause that's apparently what neighbors do, and that's ok with you, right?

I find myself not scolding Finn for barking so much today.

No comments:

Post a Comment