Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Pecans on St. Pat's

    This Saint Patrick's day I will not be hitting up the local pub for a pint or two of Guinness...as much as I actually would like to.  Instead I will happily be making my way down to my weekend of "spring break" in Memphis,TN.  Since I am still basking in 35 degrees here in Cleveland, I am excited to double that temperature and feel a little 70 degree sunshine on my pale winterized skin.  I am a little scared to just step outside in a t-shirt again....I feel like, won't I be cold?  Because I am going to stay with friends, I wanted to bring them a little something different as a little thank you.  I figured something home-made and delicious might be a good choice, so I decided on my favorite Organic Toasted Pecan and Chocolate Chunk Cookies.  They are made with salted butter, yum!
The very first step is to toast roughly 1 cup of pecan pieces for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees.  Pecans can be very expensive, so I recommend only buying them in bulk or at a warehouse store (Costco), if you are a member of one.  I find that not only is the price a bit better, but the quality too.  


Next, I breakup 1 4oz or 5oz chocolate bar into pretty small chocolate pieces...about the size of chocolate chips or smaller....but you can make them any size you like.  The chocolate bar that you pick will have a big effect on the flavor of your cookies. I usually choose a darker chocolate (55%+), so that you can really taste the chocolate in the end.  Milk chocolate flavors tends to get a little lost in the finished cookie. 

First I beat 1 cube of salted butter, 1/2 cup of white sugar, and 2/3 cup of brown sugar together until they are smooth. 
Scrape down the bowl, and then add 1 tsp of vanilla and 1 egg.  Finally, mix together in a separate bowl 1 1/2 cups of flour, 1/2 tsp of baking soda and 1/2 tsp of kosher salt, and add that mixture to the sugar and butter.  Mix it until it is well combined. 
Next gently add in the chocolate and the toasted pecans. 
After it is all combined, let it set in the fridge for a few hours. 

 Then scoop out small tablespoon sided scoops, and flatten them just slightly.  Stick them in the 350 degree oven for 10 min.


Pull them out right at 10 minutes if you like them soft and chewy
or at about 12 minutes if you like them browned and crispy.
The whole apartment is now smelling so amazing...of warm chocolate and buttery nuttiness.  I better go taste test a few. Hope you make them and enjoy them too!

No comments:

Post a Comment