Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Maximize your length with retention


I may have mentioned before that one question I get A LOT (so I keep answering) is "What can I use to make my hair grow?"  In my opinion hair growth aids are only as effective as the techniques you use to retain the length that you gain while your hair is growing. There are a lot of suggestions out there for ways in which you can go about retaining length. It's easy to get overwhelmed so I have tried to compile a list of the suggestions that are pretty consistent from source to source.

Protective styling - This can include low manipulation styles and minimal heat use. Many individuals feel strongly that protective styles only include twists, cornrows, and/or updos. For those of you that, for numerous reasons, opt to wear styles that don't include twists or braids; there are other options. Those options can include buns, wigs, and phony ponys.

Balance - Moisture and protein. Too much of either can lead to breakage. Examine your hair and give it what it needs when needed. Sometimes following a strict regimen can do more harm than good.
 
Healthy diet - You can't put junk in your body all day every day and expect your hair to flourish. When your body is lacking nutrients your hair will be one the last to get those nutrients once you put them in your body. Think about it this way - what happens when you put cheap gas in your car? It sputters, backfires, and drives terribly. A good grade of gas does so much better. Treat your body like the temple that it is.
Gentle hands - Handle your hair like a fine $10,000 silk scarf. Take it from me - I use to yank the combs thru my hair and brush roughly, I stayed at the same length for years. After I learned to treat my hair like I truly loved it I started to see results. Presently, I am not afraid to trim off a few inches here and there because I know that my hair will grow and that I can retain the length. One of the biggest lessons I learned for handling was to detangle from ends up to the root. I used to actually start at the root! Big NO NO.

Product choice - It is more helpful for your strands that you choose a product that is beneficial for your hair type. If your hair likes silicones use them, don't stop just because person x said they were bad. If you get a better response from all natural products then use them. Just because someone said you can add something natural to something commercial and get the same effect does not mean that you have to do just that. It's your hair and even if you happen to come across a person with a similar type, it does not guarantee that the same product will work the same way for you.

In a nutshell:
  • Low manipulation and gentle handling is key
  • Minimizing harmful products and heat is helpful
  • Moisture and protein can help your hair thrive
  • Detangle from tip to root in sections
  • Healthy hair begins on the inside
See some other tips here: Retaining Hair Length


Got additional tips and advice? Please share them below.


No comments:

Post a Comment