Wednesday, August 15, 2007

a funny thing happened on the way back to seattle

So I'm at Norman Y. Mineta International Airport, headed back to Seattle on Monday morning. I'm sitting on the floor of the crowded boarding area when the gate attendant announces that they've overbooked the plane and that they need four volunteers to take a later flight in exchange for a free rount trip ticket voucher to anywhere Alaska Airlines flies. Seeing as how I was in no rush to get back to Seattle since I was going to have to wait until Eric's shift ended before heading home anyway (approximately 3.5 hours), I'm perfectly happy to take a later flight. So I jump up, dump my book and bagel (but not the coffee) in my bag and run to the gate counter. They take down my name and ask me to take a seat until they're ready to rebook me onto a later flight (probably getting to Seattle via Boise, they tell me). So I sit patiently and wait for my name to be called, and when they do, they tell me that due to some other passenger cancellations, they can get me onto my original flight and give me the voucher! Woo hoo!

As it happens, I am headed to Seward, Alaska in September to visit a dear friend, and I just happened to have been lazy and not purchased my ticket yet. I love serendipity.

No comments:

Post a Comment