Saturday, March 5, 2011

Daffodils and Freesias

Today will be my nephew's funeral. My heart is heavy that I can't be there, but hopefully my family knows that all my love is there with them.

My dear friend Jenny sent me this message today, which I found very touching.

"Someone was telling me a few days ago about daffodils as a flower of remembrance and I thought of you and Kyton. It'd be too late in the year this year to plant them I think. But apparently the bulbs you plant divide every year and flower again, so the flowers you plant could still be coming up every year for 100 years from the same bulbs. And it also fits with him being born so close to St David's day."

I think it's a wonderful idea. Okay, we rent the house we live in so probably won't be here for decades, but most people don't have the "family homestead" anymore where generation after generation live. But the daffodils will be there year after year, and every time I see daffodils somewhere else, they would remind me of Kyton.

Another of my lovely friends, Vicki, brought me some beautiful white freesias as a gesture of sympathy this week. They were such a thoughtful gesture that, when I was ordering flowers for Kyton's funeral, I chose a basket with freesias. It turns out those are some of my sister Shannon's favourite flowers.




So I can't be at the funeral today, but I'm going to find a part of our garden to set aside for Kyton's Flowers. And I will do the same wherever I live in the future. In the future the people who live in this house might not know the significance but they can still enjoy their beauty.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment