Thursday, March 10, 2011

Chronicles of a Natural Apostolic: My favorite products

What products do I use?


In this post I will explain all of the products that I use and when I use them. There are some products that I only use once a month, once every 2 weeks, once a week or daily. I base the product on the state of my hair.

When I decide whether a product works for me, there are many things I consider. They must be able to:
  • Combat a dry and itchy scalp
  • Keep my ends moist when they get too dry
  • Maintain a good pH balance in my hair
  • Detangle my hair with ease
  • Contain ingredients that are not damaging to my hair
  • Define my curl pattern
In addition, I have learned, and constantly tell others, what works for me may not work for you! You have to find what works for your hair! This is the MOST important thing to keep in mind!!

With that said, I will list my favorite products categorically.

Shampoo, Conditioner and Clarifier

I have two types of shampoo and conditioner that I alternate with. Nourish Spa by Trader Joes and Tea Tree Tingle also by Trader Joes. Nourish Spa is made with organic ingredients and it does contain parabens. (I do not find these to be bad, despite must controversy and debate). Tea Tree Tingle is a certified organic shampoo and conditioner. They are very inexpensive, ranging no more than $5 per bottle. They last me about 3 months! Sometimes more!

To clarify my hair I used apple cider vinegar or white vinegar diluted with water. I generally use 6 parts vinegar to 4 parts water. I like a strong rinse! I use this to help remove product build up and to restore the proper pH balance to my hair.


Nourish Spa found at Trader Joes.


 
Tea Tree Tingle found at Trader Joes



Detangling Mixtures

I have two methods of detangling:

The first method is simple. I do this method right after I wash my hair. So I only do this once a week!
  • Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Leave in Conditioner OR Herbal Essence None of Your Frizziness Leave in Conditioner to detangle. I smooth a large amount over a section and comb/brush it out with my tangle teezer.

  • Once I have detangled, I apply oil to the section to seal in the moisture using Hollywood's Beauty Tea Tree Oil OR Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil





My second method is to maintaining moisture throughout the week. I made a mixture containing:

  • Bottled water
  • UNCUT hair oil by Christine Carney
  • Aloe vera juice
  • Leave in conditioner
I put all of this in an empty leave in conditioner bottle. I use this to maintain moisture in my hair throughout the week.

Detangling and Styling Tools

I recently purchased the Tangle Teezer for $10.86 at Sallys. I wanted to know if it was worth the hype or not! And IT IS! This is my new most favorite detangling tool ever. No more combs or brushes needed! It sliced my detangling time down from 45 minutes to 10 minutes. It pulls out less hair and it removes shedded hair with ease. I will be posting a review about this very soon :)

My other styling tools consist of:
  • Bobby pins
  • Elastic hair ties (with no metal)
  • Hair clamps
  • Headbands, bows, scarves and clips
Styling Products
I use Eco Styler Gel with olive oil to:
  • define my curls
  • slick back my hair
  • to make my little "jew curls" on my temples
  • to make coils


I use Glycerin with water in a spray bottle for twist outs, twists, braids, ANYTHING! It gives me tons of sheen, body and volume. I can't find a picture to show you but you can find it at your local beauty supply!

ANY MORE QUESTIONS?? Feel free to leave comments or send me emails!

Celebrating hair, hair & hair <3

No comments:

Post a Comment