Friday, June 19, 2009

Bleaching knots, part II

After really inspecting my new unit, I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to bleach the knots. In the words of Dave Matthews, I see "ants marching" all over the front. I am not looking forward to this procedure at all. I'm studying another method found on the BHM forum - tapping the knots with a soft brush. I still have some bleach powder, 40 Vol developer and UnRed. I think I may have to also do the Rit Dye Remover dip (because most CVs use clothing dye on 1B/1 colors). The thing is, you can't see the knots changing, and this is where we mess up. You leave it on too little, the knots are orange. You leave it on too long, you get bald spots. MHRW says to leave the bleach on until the roots turn from orange to light yellow. Hmmm. I don't want to lose that dark color on the unit, and if I do a dip, I'll have to dip the cap in, and it's going to be a #2 top and #1B bottom. I don't want that. I could be wrong, and it's not dyed with clothing dye. I'll have to do a test at the nape area. AGHHH! I wish the CVs wouldn't advertise that they bleach knots, when they're clearly not. Rant off. So I better lust and drool over those curls now, because I believe once the water hits them, it's going to turn into a wavy. At least it's a malaysian, which equals no tangling.

My Rex Malaysian Wavy is shedding more than usual. I don't know why. I sealed the knots with the Patricia Nimocks sealant.

No comments:

Post a Comment