Saturday, April 18, 2009

springing

These pics are mostly for Eric's benefit -- so he can see what's going on in the garden, as the crocuses have come and gone, the daffodils are waning, and the tulips are beginning to show up....


I love these split-corona daffodils, but I don't know what this variety is called. They have a lovely smell, unlike most daffodils, and they remind me of fried eggs (apparently I have a thing for fried egg flowers, because I just brought one of these home for the garden, and I adore the tiny little daisies that pop up in lawns around this time of year). If you know the name of these daffodils, please leave me a comment and let me know!


a different specimen, elegantly posed against the chimney.

================================

In the back yard, we have:


Grape hyacinth (Muscari armeniacum)

Bleeding heart (Dicentra spectabilis)



the dogwood (Cornus sp.) patch


the large Japanese maple
================================
On to the veggies....

The camera refused to focus on something so skinny, but that there is an asparagus spear! It's about 12 inches tall, and did I mention that it's skinny? I'm on the lookout for more spears, but so far as I can tell, there's only one other, and it's about 1 inch tall.


We had another volunteer violet in the veggie space again, so I transplanted it to a pot where it will thrive until it gets hot, and then it will fry.


All three blueberry bushes are getting ready for the bees....


and the apple tree is finally joining the party.
================================
Out the gate and around the corner to the front yard....
The front yard Dicentra, behind our new vine maple (Acer circinatum). This "heart" came with the house, and has faithfully bloomed spectacularly for the last three years. For the first two years, we had to crawl between the Rhododendron you can see in the background and the camelia that was where the maple is now to see it, but it was there, blooming up a storm. It does even better now that it's not so cramped.


Eric, do you remember the name of this guy? I don't, except that I think it has "clark" somewhere in it. And look! It has a baby off to the right. I had to lift another plant off of it to see it -- we may have to do something about that.

Witch hazel (Hamamelis sp.)

More Muscari.


The lilacs are coming, the lilacs are coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment