Sunday, October 12, 2008

canning tomatoes, take one

I like canning.
I like canning.
I like canning.
I like canning.

I don't mind that home canning takes (way) more time and (way, way) more energy than going to the store and buying canned tomatoes (even nice organic ones). I don't mind that nearly 15 pounds of homegrown tomatoes literally boils down to a mere four quarts....



but I do begin to mind when this happens....



Halfway through the 45 minute hot water process, the jar broke. I opened the canner to take a peek and saw a rouge tomato floating around.... I knew I had canning FAIL.

I like canning.
I like canning.

Edited to add: I was able to salvage the tomatoes from the broken jar by adding them to the cooked down leftover tomato bits and some roasted small and cherry tomatoes, plus a homegrown walla walla onion for what smelled like an awesome tomato sauce. Nice save.

No comments:

Post a Comment