Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Signs

  Instead of Ten on Tuesday, I have decided to do a post on E's current sign vocabulary. He spent most of his weekend showing his signs to various family members. I got asked frequently, "How many signs does he know?" I did not know off the top of my head, so I figured it was time to compile a list...

Signs E uses:

daddy   mommy   please    deer     apple     play     dog     I love you     elephant     car     fish     giraffe     potty     bed     milk     horse     go     tree     hat     grandpa    yes    book

Signs E understands, but does not yet use himself:

eat   no    bath    cat    more    drink    water    look    stop    sleep    hairbrush    brush teeth    come    sit

There are more signs that he has imitated, but he does not use them consistently and we do not know for sure he understands the meaning, so I did not list them. We have been signing with E for four months (when he was diagnosed with his hearing loss).  We are told that his sign vocabulary is wonderful and on par with the vocabulary of his hearing peers. We are very pleased with his desire to learn :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment