Tuesday, February 3, 2009

steamboat springs

Steamboat Springs Ski Resort, Yampa Valley, Routt County, Colorado

Eric and I at the top of the Hevenly Daze run, which was a doozy...

This was the second incarnation of a ski trip put together by my dear friend Jana, and her incredbly organized husband, Mike. They live in Boulder, CO, and have now organized two fantastic ski weekends for their friends, some as near as their own town, some as far-flung as Seattle, San Diego and Boston. Mike researches resorts, condo and lift ticket packages, transportation and of course, calculates just how much beer is needed, Jana plans the menu and whips up a mean vegetarian chili -- the rest of us just have to show up on the appointed day. Did I mention how fantastic that is? In 2006, we went to Keystone, and this year, Steamboat Springs. The snow was powdery, but on the heavy side. Perhaps not five-star Colorado snow, but leaps and bounds better than the "Cascade concrete" we get here. Next year, maybe Whistler....


Karen, myself and Jana, doing our self portrait on a chairlift thing
Jana and I have known each other for 26 years. I remember meeting her shortly after I moved to Sunnyvale. My mom met her mom, and they introduced us. Jana had just come home from "hat day" at her school, and was wearing a white eyelet lace bonnet. I have known Karen for 22 years. We met in the fourth grade, when we sat next to each other on the school bus on the way to the San Francisco Mint -- the fourth grade field trip. The three of us were in Girl Scouts together, from the seventh to twelvth grade. It's almost mind-boggling to think that we're still friends after all these years, and still get to see each other every now and again.


the City of Steamboat Springs, below the resort


the sunlight left this tree's ice-crusted branches moments after I took this picture...

No comments:

Post a Comment