Tuesday, May 13, 2008

WIP Tuesday

First, a finished object!

I made a pencil roll for a friend’s daughter’s birthday. I used the pattern from Joelle Hoverson’s Last-Minute Patchwork and Quilted Gifts, abbreviated to fit the 12-color pencil set I bought for it. The word on the street is that the recipient loved it, which makes me very happy.








Now on to the WIP du jour:
I am also about half-way through piecing the top of a baby quilt for the latest arrival of my friends Toni & Shawn, Isabella Renee. The patch fabric is from a charm pack of Moda’s Flutterby line, and the sashing and border fabrics are Kona Solids. The binding will also be Flutterby. I’ve seen photos of this sort of pattern, but I don’t know if it has a name, and I am constructing this quilt without any written instructions.






Toni’s first baby, Seamus, was the recipient of my very first “real” quilt, a rail fence patterned quilt from Alex Anderson's book, Start Quilting (below). Not wanting to rely on the traditional gender-associated color pallette of blues for a boy, I went with bold primary colors in three color groups: red, green and yellow (I know, green is not a primary color, but I trust that you see what I was after here). In each of the groups, I selected a fabric that incorporated sunflowers, since those are Toni's favorite flowers, unfazed by the fact that this boy's quilt was going to have flowers on it. Now Toni has a girl, I am making her a quilt that features insects! Unintentional irony -- I love it.



Rail Fence for Baby Seamus, circa 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment