Friday, May 2, 2008

catching up...

A little out of order, but I wanted to catch up....

Eastern Oregon and Washington road trip....
Eric and I hit the road for Pendleton at 7pm on Friday evening, arriving around 11:30, safe and sound. On Saturday we worked and at the end of the day, we went to the Whitman Mission National Historic Site. It was a lovely site, if only known for the massacre that happened there. The weather was great -- the kind of sun and shadow you only get from the massive clouds that manage to look cheerful and ominous simultaneously. On Sunday, we headed north towards Clarkston, WA and Lewiston, ID. That's Lewiston in the background there.



We took the Lewis and Clark historic trail (the highway version of it, anyway) and took our time. We passed through Moscow and Coeur D'Alene, ID; Pullman and Spokane WA. Eric dropped me off at the quilting shop in Moscow while he gassed up (is he great or what?). That quilting shop is dangerous -- it's attached to a yarn shop.


Back in Seattle....
On the 19th, we went to the Roman Art from the Louve exhibit at the Seattle Art Museum, and on the 21st, I went to see the Yarn Harlot at her book signing. I brought my knitting and stood in line for a little while, but eventually had to give up on having her sign my book, as it was 9:30pm, the bus had already stopped running for the evening, and Eric would only be willing to come pick me up for a little longer. Fortunately, she's got another manuscript in the works, so I'll just have to go see her again (would anyway). By then, hopefully I'll have finished a sock, or even a pair!

The huge log cabin quilt top is off for quilting! When I see it next, it'll be a fully formed, beautiful quilt! In the meantime, I have two matching throw pillow shams to put together. This is it, right before it went off for quilting. Glass of water for scale.



Next up: baby quilt for baby Isabella Renee (born 29APR). Should be a quickie (famous last words).

This week, Eric has been in Glynco, Georgia for training. He was supposed to continue on to a second week of training in Charleston, but his grandmother passed away on Tuesday, so he's gone back to San Diego for her funeral this Wednesday. Nana was a strong, capable woman whom I admired. I know she stuck around to care for Papa, and once he was gone, she was finally able to rest. I didn't know either of them very well, but I will always fondly remember that Nana referred to the time that Papa was in the Navy as their time in the Navy. She considered herself every bit as involved in the Navy as he did. "Remember when we were studying for the Acadamy exam?" she once asked him. Not "when you were studying" but "when we were studying." A wonderful, sweet woman. She will be greatly missed.

OK, that's enough catching up for now. This weekend is all about the Garden of Bewilderment. I am pleased with the plan I have in my head -- I'll post pics once it's done (and once Eric brings the camera home... I feel a little lost without it).

No comments:

Post a Comment